Announcements - View All
- Glen Paine: 20 Years at the Helm!
- TST Corporation Employees Successfully Complete Coast Guard VTS Training Program at MITAGS-PMI
- Seattle Traffic Notice January/February 2019
- PRESS RELEASE MITAGS-PMI Expands Capabilities on their East and West Coast Campuses.
- MITAGS-PMI STCW Revalidation / Refresher and Upgrade Courses Available Now
- MITAGS-PMI Fremont Merger
- MITAGS-PMI'S NSAP is the 2017 Winner of the Plimsoll Award for Outstanding Service
Become a Mate Unlimited Officer with the Washington State Ferries
Little to No Experience Needed
Already Have Experience - Fast Track Your Way Into the Wheelhouse
The International Organization of Masters, Mates & Pilots west coast campus of MITAGS-PMI, is pleased to announce a new two-year apprenticeship program with the Washington State Ferries to become a Mate Unlimited (Inland) officer.
Graduates of this two-year program will earn a Mate Unlimited (Inland) license and Able Seafarer Limited, with the majority of STCW training including Crowd Management, Crisis Management & Human Behavior and ARPA. This training will allow graduates to change the scope of their license to ‘Oceans’ with additional sea-time on ocean-going vessels.
Benefits of the Washington State Ferry Maritime Apprenticeship Program (MAP):
- Earn a Mates License in two years vs. six to eight years.
- Increase employability options by having both an Able Seafarer document and Mates License.
- Train on the majority of WSF routes and document pilotage trips for each.
The Washington State Ferry Maritime Apprenticeship Program combines approximately 24 weeks of classroom, lab and simulation training with one year of sea-service. Sea-service acquired before joining the program does not count as part of the one year of sea-service requirement. Each academic phase is 4-8 weeks long. The sea phases range from 4 to 6 months, with ample time available to log 360 days of sea time, plus take some needed time off.
In addition to not having a salary during the two-year program, apprentices will be required to pay their own transportation to and from the vessels and will need to provide for their own meals while onboard. Washington State Ferries’ employees with membership in good standing with the Inland Boatmen Union will receive a 10% discount on the tuition, however; this offer will only be good through March 1, 2020.