Announcements - View All
- Glen Paine: 20 Years at the Helm!
- TST Corporation Employees Successfully Complete Coast Guard VTS Training Program at MITAGS-PMI
- Seattle Traffic Notice January/February 2019
- PRESS RELEASE MITAGS-PMI Expands Capabilities on their East and West Coast Campuses.
- MITAGS-PMI STCW Revalidation / Refresher and Upgrade Courses Available Now
- MITAGS-PMI Fremont Merger
- MITAGS-PMI'S NSAP is the 2017 Winner of the Plimsoll Award for Outstanding Service
Terrestrial & Coastal Navigation & Compasses (TCNAV-CO)
This course (MITPMI-516) is required for all Able Seamen upgrading to 3rd Mate/2nd Mate. Attendees to this 15-day course will learn aspects of traditional navigation. Through this course, trainees will become proficient in Terrestrial and Coastal Navigation as well as the use and correction of magnetic and gyro compasses. This course is a prerequisite to basic watchkeeping and also acts as a great refresher for anyone interested in tuning their coastal navigation skills.
This course satisfies the following Tasks of NVIC 12-14: 1.2.A, 1.2.B, 1.2.C, 1.3.A, 1.3.B, 1.3.C, 1.6.A, 1.6.B, 1.6.C, 1.6.D, 1.7.A, 1.7.B, 1.7.C, 1.7.D, 1.7.E, and 1.7.F.
Prerequisites- Basic Math Pre-Test: https://themaritimeacademy.com/ .
Suggested Courses/Skills- See NVIC 12-14.
What You Will Learn
This course satisfies the Terrestrial Navigation and Coastal Navigation training and Magnetic and Gyro Compasses training requirements for certification as Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch on vessels of 500 or more gross tonnage (ITC), pursuant to NMC Policy Letter 01-02. This course satisfies the following STCW95 and CFR requirements:
Applicants who have successfully completed this course need not present "Control Sheets" for these assessments in application for STCW certification.
What You Should Bring
Select the course date from the list below