Announcements - View All
- Glen Paine: 20 Years at the Helm!
- TST Corporation Employees Successfully Complete Coast Guard VTS Training Program at MITAGS-PMI
- Seattle Traffic Notice January/February 2019
- PRESS RELEASE MITAGS-PMI Expands Capabilities on their East and West Coast Campuses.
- MITAGS-PMI STCW Revalidation / Refresher and Upgrade Courses Available Now
- MITAGS-PMI Fremont Merger
- MITAGS-PMI'S NSAP is the 2017 Winner of the Plimsoll Award for Outstanding Service
Search & Rescue (SAR)
This course (MITPMI-445) is required by Able Seamen upgrading to 3rd/2nd Mate. This course 3 day course provides a thorough knowledge and understanding of the IMO Merchant Ship Search and Rescue Manual (MERSAR) such that trainees will be able to use it effectively when faced with a search and rescue situation. This Search and Rescue Course presents the student with policies, organization, and procedures involved in the Search and Rescue process as generally practiced by the U.S. Coast Guard and other countries as well. It is expected that students completing this course will gain a broad understanding of the subject matter beyond skills and operational procedures learned in training for qualification in daily seamanship and navigation training. Attaining this higher level of understanding will enable better understanding, knowledge and expertise to accomplish search and rescue functions. This course satisfies: 46 CFR 11.305(a)(3)(v) and 46 CFR 11.307(a)(3)(v); 46 CFR 11.309(a)(4)(iii)and 46 CFR 11.309(a)(3); and 46 CFR 11.311(a)(3)(v) and 46 CFR 11.313(a)(3)(v); the specific tasks from the National Assessment Guidelines found in NVIC12-14: Task 5.1.A, 5.2.A, 5.3.A, and 6.1; AND the specific tasks from the National Assessment Guidelines found in NVIC10-14: Task 4.1.
Suggested Courses/Skills- None.
What You Will Learn
Any applicant who successfully completes this course will satisfy the Search & Rescue requirements for certification as Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch on vessels of 500 or more gross tonnage (ITC). This course satisfies the following STCW95 and CFR training requirements:
What You Should Bring
Select the course date from the list below