Announcements - View All
- PRESS RELEASE MITAGS-PMI Expands Capabilities on their East and West Coast Campuses.
- MITAGS-PMI STCW Revalidation / Refresher and Upgrade Courses Available Now
- MITAGS-PMI Fremont Merger
- MITAGS-PMI'S NSAP is the 2017 Winner of the Plimsoll Award for Outstanding Service
- SOCP 2017 Fall Meeting October 31st to November 1st at MITAGS
Additional Course Materials
Please check with the MITAGS Admissions for the scheduled starting time of your course. If your shiphandling course is scheduled to start in the afternoon do not make plans to depart MITAGS prior to morning following course completion.
Basic Shiphandling (SHS-BAS-OIC)
This course (MITPMI-71) is required for all Able Seamen upgrading to 3rd/2nd Mate. It utilizes full mission simulation to reinforce theoretical lessons. Students practice turning circles and stopping distance in deep and shallow water, man overboard procedures and basic anchoring. Students will demonstrate their knowledge, understanding and proficiency in basic shiphandling on a Full Mission Simulator and by written test.
This course satisfies the following STCW and CFR training requirements
Prerequisites- This course is available to anyone pursuing qualifications to be in charge of a navigational watch. It is also suitable as a refresher for anyone currently operating as a qualified navigational watch keeper.
Suggested Courses/Skills- See NVIC 12-14 &13-14.
What You Will Learn
What You Should Bring
Select the course date from the list below